Thursday, April 12, 2012

Transitioning a toddler...

I tried to publish this via email two days ago, but it got lost in cyber-space...

Did I talk about this already? I became vegan at the end of 2011, for a number of reasons: cruelty to factory-farmed animals, my health, to lose weight. As I became certain this was someone I was going to be able to commit to, I started trying vegan foods on Ronan. I never really considered him a picky eater until I was trying to substitute his favorite foods.

First came the chicken nuggets. I got a high recommendation for Gardein tenders, and bought a couple bags. I thought they were fantastic! Ronan, however, was not fooled. For two weeks (not every night, I'm not that crazy) I tried getting him to warm up but he was having none of it. Begrudged, I bought more Tyson chicken nuggets and pondered some more.

Second came the hot dogs. Ew! At least I was buying all beef franks before, and not a mixture of, well, whatever. But he wasn't fooled by Smart Dogs or Tofurkey franks either. I couldn't even get him to try more than one bite of cheez.

Then, I found vegetarian chik'n nuggets by MorningStar Farms. Why not? And...he likes them, whew! Next, a tofu scramble...victory! Homemade macaroni and cheez? Well, the noodles were a little al dente so I can't blame him for not having more than a few bites. But he did say it was good.

Why is it so important that my son is vegan, as well? Well, learning what I've learned about the way animals we consume are used and abused sends shivers down my spine...and then I've read up on the health benefits of vegetarians/vegans versus non. What better gift can I give than a life of compassion and understanding and a healthy start from here on? It took me 31 years to get it right...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...