Saturday, March 13, 2010

A Revelation Hath Occureth

I am quite pleased, yet troubled. There is an explanation to all of my recent emotional behavior, and the dizzy spells I've been having. When I miss a dose of Cymbalta, or take it too late in the day, I begin having neurological withdrawals I like to call "brain zaps." It literally feels like an electric shock to the brain and is equivocal to dizziness, sporadically. But I haven't been missing doses, or taking them off-schedule.

My body is doing what it has always done. It has developed a tolerance to the drug. See, I was blessed with an immune system that could be named as a super power, and also the ability to develop tolerance or immunity to any product I use in or on my body. I have to change shampoos frequently; have to use a different birth control pill starting after a year; my face breaks out using a soap that once before kept it clean and blemish free. Now, I'm experiencing the same downfall with Cymbalta, which I've been taking at the same dosage for nearly two years.

So, now I have to call my doctor, whom I don't like all that well but don't have many other options, to try a different SSRI. Not looking forward to that. Anyone with experience with anti-depressants knows you don't always find a fit on the first try. If it's not the right drug for you, it can make you lose your mind, become suicidal, become completely apathetic, etc. The only side effect I've had to worry about from Cymbalta isn't all that bad. A little trouble in the regularity department, is all. Now I have to start all over with a new drug that takes up to six weeks to be effective enough to know whether or not it's a good fit. And, in that time frame, I could be extremely unfortunate to be around. I think I have been for the last couple of months, anyway. But this could be much, much worse. Wish me luck. And fuck this serotonin imbalance.

1 comment:

My Small Piece of the World said...

Good luck girl! I know exactly what you mean!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...