Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Well...sharing.

Ronan was having a sharing problem last night at a friend's. Her son is 5, but she has told me Ronan is the only child he really gets along with. Last night a meltdown occurred over our host's Leapster game. Ronan doesn't have anything like that and the boy was playing a game very much in Ronan's interest - Cars 2. While the other boy was being disciplined for throwing a fit. I attempted a conversation with Ronan.

"What's your most favorite toy at home?"
"Cars."
"If Brodun came over and played with your favorite cars and didn't ask, would you be upset?"
"Yes."
"Well, this game is Brodun's most favorite toy. And you took it without asking. So he's upset."
I paused to let that sink in before I lost him...
"When Brodun is ready to come out of his room, what are you going to do with the game?"
"Share."
Score!

When Brodun was released from time-out, I reminded Ronan about the game, and he handed it over. And the rest of the night he was content with watching Brodun play. It's relieving to know that I am able to come up with some sort of language for him to understand and get over "but I want to play."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...